...

3/12/12

Home Sweet Rental - Ikea Re-Paint


So I've been trying really hard recently to make the best of our apartment. Its OK. For a two bedroom its actually quite large, but its old. The flooring is just nasty, but I can't do anything about that. 

This weekend I went a little overboard, but I'll start with this IKEA storage unit. Its wonderful as far as function is concerned - but it was filthy from its previous owner. It only just occurred to me that I could paint it!

I did some quick Googling to see what the best course of action was for these nasty plastic-laminate pieces of furniture and set off to the hardware store to pick up what was needed.



First step was sanding (read: scratching) the finish up enough for the primer to stick. This wasn't too hard, though I later found the primer really difficult to mix. I wound up with one really watery layer and one very viscous layer. So I recommend more patience and stirring.


 ^ Sanding ^

Once the boring steps of painting white on white were over though - the fun begins!


Aaaaand, I found the oil primer took more time to dry than advertised (which made the latex grey a bit odd on the first layer), to I had to wait overnight to finish up - but I LOVE it. Definitely the right solution to a piece of furniture to dirty & beaten up to clean the traditional way.






No comments:

Post a Comment