...

6/5/12

Home Sweet Rental - Platform Bed

I've been sitting on this one for a while, its not super-exciting but I want to continue to make these home improvement posts because they make me really happy! I'm not really at ease with my living situation for several reasons, but as it stands I have no real reason to move - aside from general dislike for the place. So, what can I do but divert my angst in to decorating and improvement projects?

I've found Anna Dorfman's Door Sixteen and Daniel Kanter's Manhattan Nest sources of incredible inspiration and while I can only do so much at once I really hope that I can have homes as beautiful as theirs some day. This will also mean re-doing this blog so it is both more attractive and more manageable. One thing at a time though.

So, I had - to my great embarrassment - been living without a real bed frame for quite some time, and it really, really had to change. My first thought was IKEA, but as it turns out their bed frames are not as cheap as you might expect. Particularly if you are being fussy, as I was and looking for a platform storage bed. I am always on the lookout for new storage solutions, and like the contemporary vibe of the platform bed. To my pleasant surprise, Home Depot had what I was looking for in the end! The Southshore URBEN is very well priced and very much what I was after. I ordered.

The reviews mentioned that it was a bit of a handful, assembly-wise but I must tell you - there is little I love more than assembling furniture. This was going to be great.



It took a lot of careful instruction reading, but I got the project going. Once I was familiar with their method of explaining things it really wasn't difficult either. Just about everything did what it was meant to, though I did have to call Pietro in several times to help me hold this or that.


The only step that really gave me any grief was the building of the actual drawers. There were some plastic bits that weren't molded 100% as they ought to be, and required some man-power to twist in to submission. 


The whole process probably took a solid two hours, and if I'm being honest, the finished product - while exactly what I wanted, just doesn't look very impressive. I've got big plans on continuing to improve my bedroom, new sheets are on the way, new paint job is certainly in order, and its time to get rid of old art that I'm simply hanging on the walls for lack of a better place. I hope you'll bear with me as I continue to make these improvements.





No comments:

Post a Comment